Friday, June 17, 2011

Sleepless Nights

As an expectant mother, you may lay awake at night and dream of the day when you meet your baby face to face. You may even be dreaming of the kind of person he/she will become as they grow. Then as your pregnancy progresses, you lay awake at night because it is hard to sleep when your cute belly bump turns into a watermelon -- oh and don't forget the sciatic pain, heartburn, hot flashes, and your wee babe kicking and punching your internal organs. Yes, that sure makes it hard to sleep. Oh, then your baby comes into the world. Now your quiet nights are the times when you are feeding and diapering and loving on your little one. Then as they grow and are able to sleep longer, you look forward to the undisturbed nights again - after all, it has been well over a year since you were able to sleep more than 4 hours straight. Introducing ear infections, flu bugs, croup, bothersome coughs, fevers, teething, growth spurts, developmental milestones that cause crazy dreams, nightmares, night terrors, and separation anxiety. You may get more nights without interruption, but it still happens. There are still nights when sleep seems to be out of reach. This is the stage I am in now. It has me leaning on my heavenly Father for wisdom and patience -- ok, mostly patience. I am not a patient person by nature (who is, eh?) and sleep is something I need. I am not one of those people who can function on just a few hours sleep a night. I need a good 7 hours (8 is divine). God is able to provide the patience when I obviously will not have it. I am so thankful for that!!

I was told when I was pregnant that the restless nights were just God's way of getting me ready for the times I would be up with the baby. It doesn't end there. We will be up with our little ones as long as they are in our house; whether it is to feed the baby, nurse the fever, calm the fears, wipe the tears, pray and disciple, or dreaming the dreams with your teen - uninterrupted sleep is a thing of the past. I am so thankful for my kids, therefore, I am thankful for the sleepless nights (even though some days are harder than others).


Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one's youth.
Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
Psalm 127:3-5


By the way, my wonderful husband and I both sat up last night with our nearly 2 year old. We think she is cutting teeth, but she is having an extremely hard time sleeping. Please pray for our day as we draw on the Lord for strength, energy and patience. 

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and His understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak. 
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary, 
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!