Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Flowering Cross

The Flowering Cross by Beth Ryan

I wasn't really sure what to expect, other than a children's book, when I ordered a copy of this book. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised! This is a wonderful way to share the Easter story and it motivates children to share their faith with others. This book goes beyond the Easter story. The story makes a point to have talking points using real life examples and scripture references for other life lessons. The little girl obeys her Mom and there is a scripture reference at the bottom of the page to point out how God wants us to obey our parents. The story talks about the neighbor who is kind of cranky; the family in the story helps and loves on the older gentleman despite his willingness to accept their kindness at first. It shows how simple acts of kindness can be small ways to share God's love with another - and inevitably lead a person to the cross. One extra thing the book has are detailed instructions on how to make your own flowering cross. This is a wooden cross that has holes in it for the flower stems. This may be a tradition that you would want to start in your own family – especially after reading this touching story. What a wonderful book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!