Wednesday, April 8, 2015

About God - Part 3

The Self-Existence of God 

Where did God come from? This is a good question, well at least a good starting point. It reveals a lot about the way we think. We came from our parents. The litter of kittens from the mama cat. The flowers in the garden from small seeds. Light and warmth from the sun. The wind...well, I have no idea where the wind comes from but I wish it would go back there. I digress. 

We are created beings and came from something. We have a beginning. We are a part of the timeline. 

"God has no origin," said Novatian, and it is precisely this concept of no-origin which distinguishes That-which-is-God from whatever is not God." [Knowledge of the Holy, Tozer]

That is a lot to wrap our minds around. God is lot limited by time. He exists outside of time. That is why he told Moses to tell the Israelites that He is "I AM WHO I AM" 

God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” 
And He said, “Say this to the people of Israel, 
I am has sent me to you.’” 
Exodus 3:14

Psalm 90:2 tells us that God existed before our world:


Before the mountains were brought forth,
    or ever you had formed the earth and the world,

    from everlasting to everlasting you are God.



God is self-existent, meaning He needs nothing to exist apart from Himself. He does not need oxygen, water or food. He does not need sleep or rest. He does not need a dwelling place. He does not need us. But He chose to create us and love us to display His love and majesty. Chose is the key word. 



Chosen sounds so personal. So loving. So kind. 


Remember playing kickball at recess. Two captains choosing one by one who would be on their team? We all would be silently praying, "Please pick me. Don't let me be the last one standing. Choose me."

God chooses you. Rest in that for a moment. 

The more we contemplate how magnanimous God actually is, the smaller we will feel and the greater our dependence on such a great God will grow. 

Could this great, majestic God actually care about our lives? I mean, even the small things in our lives? Do you ever feel like only praying about the big things since God probably doesn't care about the smaller, daily events of our lives? 

Steve Lawson in the DVD series, the Attributes of God, reminds us "compared to His greatness and self-sufficiency, ALL THINGS in our lives are small; yet, He invites us to come to Him anyway." He calls us as His children if we have repented of our sins and trust in Jesus as our only Savior. 

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, 
that we should be called children of God;  
1 John 3:3a


And because you are sons
God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, 
crying, “Abba! Father!” 
So you are no longer a slave, 
but a son, and if a son, 
then an heir through God
Galations 4:6-7

Do you cry out to God? Do you call on the great, self-sufficient One to help you reflect His Son to a lost world? To your children? And husband? 

What is stopping you? 

 In trifles as well as in nobler exercises the believer should be conscious of his own inability,—should never say of any act, “Now I am strong enough to perform this; I need not go to God in prayer about this; this is so little a thing; it is beneath the dignity of God, and I am quite sufficient for it by myself.” No, believer, you are sufficient for nothing at all; without Christ you can do nothing that is good, nothing that is right. “We do not have sufficiency in ourselves to think anything of ourselves, but our sufficiency is in God.” John Newton quoted on AIG {emphasis added}

For more information, I highly suggest A. W. Tozer's book, Knowledge of the Holy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!