Thursday, May 24, 2012

Healthy Eating

I recently watched the documentaries, King Corn and Forks Over Knives. My conscience has been pricked. I am becoming more and more aware (especially as I have experiences pain in my own body from the foods I eat) of the fact that our bodies truly are impacted by the foods we choose (yes it is a choice here in America) to eat. I am not able to become a vegan. I enjoy a good steak or chicken on the barbie too much for that sort of drastic change (although I said that once about dairy and now I am dairy free....). But, I would like to remove as much processed food as we can from our diets and incorporate as many fruits and veggies.


I want to teach my daughters to love the food that God created. I *love* to see how excited our 6 year old is about my husband's vegetable garden (I say that it is his because I don't want to claim any credit for his hard work). I loved picking strawberries from the local UPick garden this spring and then making our own freezer jam and being able to thank God (with my daughters) for the perfect strawberry growing weather we have been blessed with this year.


I also want to help train my daughter's taste palettes to love fresh veggies and fruits. I don't want them to think they need to drown food in salt, fat and sugar in order to make it taste good. This is a big problem in our country! We want food to taste super salty, sinfully rich, or lockjaw sweet - and we are teaching our kids to only like food that has this strong flavor. This is one reason for the drastic increase in childhood obesity.

Summer is upon us and the hot 90 degree days are perfect for a yummy frozen treat! How about frozen bananas (and/or other fruit) that are whipped up like soft serve ice cream? How yummy does that sound? This is a great way to eliminate the sugar loaded, high fructose containing creamy dessert from your kids' diet (or at least cutting way down) and include more fruits that are loaded with Vitamins and Minerals they actually need to be healthy.


Introducing..... Yonanas Ice Cream Treat Maker





I cannot wait to get my own Yonanas Ice Cream Treat Maker

2 comments:

  1. What a great post about healthy eating. I am an obese woman who struggles with my weight. I am the type of person who likes to add salt to McDonald's french fries. I, however, do not allow my daughters to add salt to their food or eat sweets very often for the same reason. I don't want them to be afflicted with my eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the transparent response. What a great thing you are doing seeing a habit about yourself that hasn't been edifying and training your children to go in a better direction. I have this same sort of conviction when it comes to not only food, but also sinful choices (that have become patterns / habits in my life), such as being self-seeking, reading or watching things that are not Christ honoring, seeking the approval of man rather than God....and the long list goes on.

      Thanks again for the comment and have a great day! Blessings.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!