Thursday, May 31, 2012

Keeping the Little in our Girls

This summer, there is a lot going on in our lives and we are very busy. I want to make sure that we also have some time set aside to just relax and let the kids be kids (you know, play with worms, dig in the mud, climb trees, catch fireflies). I usually try to have a book club that is a pretty easy read (something that won't make smoke come out of your ears like Spurgeon or the Puritans) but that will also challenge myself and other women in our walks with the Lord. Last summer we read the The Ministry of Motherhood , which was fantastic and really challenged my outlook on being a Mom!!! I also participated in a book study at church on The Excellent Wife . Also fantastic (and really challenging)!!

But this summer, I had decided not to have a book study (for various reasons, one being that the gift of time is so very precious!).

Until, God placed a book filled with such timely wisdom in my hand that I just had to share it with other Moms. As I started reading it, I was busting at the seams with such eye opening (and startling) information but also inspired by such godly wisdom that I just *had* to share it with someone (and my husband was getting mildly irritated at me as I would interrupt his reading to read my own book aloud to him).

The book you ask?

Dannah Gresh's Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl.



You see, I have two little girls. One is six and a half and the other is just weeks away from turning 3. My oldest daughter is not boy crazy or even remotely considering a boyfriend, but I started wondering how to communicate things like modesty, changes in her body as she approaches puberty (gulp), and saving her heart for marriage. I saw her talking to a boy this past fall who was 6 years older (yes I said older) than her and although I am sure it was all innocent, it still caught me off guard. I knew I needed to get a game plan together about how I was going to talk to her about this stuff before I was caught off guard too many times.

A couple months ago I saw a post for a free (or nearly free) download of Dannah Gresh's book on Keeping the Little in your Girl. This is really directed at parents of tween girls, so I thought I'd download the kindle version and read it in a couple of years since my daughter is only 6. A few weeks (yes, weeks, not years) later I was in the airport looking for something to read and thought I'd read the introduction to this book. I couldn't put it down! I was stunned by the amount if information I needed to know NOW! Not when she is 10, but when she is 6 (or younger). There are so many things I (and YOU if you have little girls running around your home) can do to proactively protect our girls from the darkness of the world that is trying to sexualize our daughters and steal away their innocence.

The first things you need to do are pray. Get on your knees and pray for the wisdom to handle each day as a gift from the Lord. Our daughters are only small for such a short time and it is important to see each day as a gift and use each training moment for all it is worth. I am so very thankful that my husband has allowed me to stay home with our daughters so that I have even more time available to train them and be involved in their lives. Seek the Lord and His ways and communicate this to your daughter. She is called for so much more than strutting around in skimpy clothes, sticking out her pouty lips as she takes a picture of herself with her phone (so she can post on FB or tweet for countless people (including predators) to see), saying she loves this boy one week and a different boy the next and trying to live her life to match the teen idols on her favorite show.

Moms - we are engaged in war! We need to fight for our daughters! I have a dream that my daughters will be in the minority that saves not only their innocence for their wedding night, but maybe, just maybe, she will save even her first kiss for her wedding day. I grieve the fact that I wasted so much of my love and my self on other men and did not save everything I had for my husband. What a beautiful picture of Jesus and His Bride as your daughter prepares for her husband - the man that God will send into her life (start praying for him now)!


My plan is to post something each week (although these first couple of weeks will be sketchy with VBS at our church and a mission trip to Haiti) about the book and how it has touched my heart. It would be so fun if you wanted to get a copy of the book for yourself and read along! I'd love to get your feedback and hear how it has affected your outlook as a Mom and what changes you may or may not be making after reading the book.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really great book, I'm going to check it out! (I found your blog from a link up somewhere, not sure where now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dannah Gresh - I don't have girls, but I mentor high school girls, and she is so helpful in helping me to mentor those girls. I'm so following you now! Can't wait to see more

    Marissa @ forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! This book is helpful even if you just have girls in your life that you are mentoring or care about. My friend (who has a younger daughter) said it will be so helpful even when talking to her neighbor's daughter (tween). I can't wait to come see your blog! We love reading lists!!! Thanks for stopping by. Blessings!

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!