Thursday, May 25, 2017

Best Spring 2017 Reading

I love learning, therefore, I love books.

One of my favorite things to read are inspirational biographies. This is what I read or listened to lately that I think would enrich your life as well.

The Insanity of God
This book starts with Nik Ripken's personal testimony and how he and his family came to live on the mission field in Kenya and Somaliland (which is heartbreaking). After some tragedy, he begins to question how people can endure under such persecution. How can this possibly further the Kingdom of God? So he goes on a quest to interview different people and groups who have lived under such persecution and ask them how and why they survived.  What a page turner! This book is full of heartbreak, but also such beauty rising from the ashes. In my opinion, it is a must read for all who live in the blessing of a free society who struggle to even comprehend what it is like to live under persecution.



The Boys in the Boat

This is a secular book that documents the story of the boys, particularly one young man, who competed in the Olympics in Nazi Germany. It switches back and forth between the story of the young men and a historical look at the politics of that time period. I listened to the audiobook (and the narrator was fantastic) and found myself at the edge of my seat during the race scenes. This is a wonderfully inspiring book of tenacity and great strength.





A Thousand Miles to Freedom
This is a heart wrenching tale of a young girl born in communist North Korea. The descriptions of the despair and hunger under this tyrannical government is hard to even fathom. Living in the free USA, we cannot imagine a government willing withholding food and starving the people to death. Hungry people are more easily controlled, I suppose. But this family makes the hard decision to find freedom. They endure the physically and emotionally painful journey of sneaking out of North Korea. What an amazingly, true tale of endurance in the face of political oppression.




Amos Fortune, Free Man
This was a book that I read with my daughters in our homeschooling year. This was an interesting story of a free black man living in the times of slavery in America. We don't hear of this happening very often, but there were some free Africans living here. He was a strong, hard-working, thoughtful man living in a difficult, primitive time and his story is definitely award winning.





What have you read lately? Anything worth sharing? Please leave a comment below and let me know what I should add to my book list for summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!