Monday, February 13, 2012

The Baby Shower

Oh, my sister is expecting her first baby and I am so excited for her!! I can't wait to have another nephew and I know my girls will be thrilled to have a little cousin to hold and dress up (watch out Aunt Shannon - he'll be sporting click-clack dress up shoes and princess attire before you know it!).

Saturday was the baby shower and let's just say that lil Lewis will not have problems finding something to wear. :)

I made him a little rag quilt (learned how to make these via youtube. How blessed are we that we can just go out and watch videos of anything?! That is a post for another day.) and sewed a boppy cover to match. It was kind of hard to let that go - it was SO snuggly! My girls both snuggled with it before I wrapped it up.





My darling daughter and I are dairy free. Since I was bringing her as my date, I wanted to make sure there was something especially yummy, special and dairy free that she (and I) could enjoy. So I made some chocolate covered strawberries and Oreo truffles. If you have not had these before, you are missing out. They are wonderful!

Here is how I made them:


Oreo Truffles

1 package of Oreos
1 8 oz package of cream cheese - softened
(we used dairy free cream cheese)

2 - 8 oz packages of semi-sweet Bakers chocolate


Crush the Oreos in a food processor into fine crumbs.

Combine cream cheese and Oreo crumbs until well mixed (you could do this by hand, but I didn't want to end up with tennis elbow, so I used my mixer). Refrigerate for 30 minutes so that it is easier to handle.

Melt chocolate squares according to the package directions.

Roll Oreo mixture into 1/2 balls. Cover these with the melted chocolate using two spoons (one slotted) to keep the crumbs out of the chocolate.

For half of the truffles, I added about 1/2 tsp of mint extract to the melted chocolate (super yummy!). Nothing beats chocolate mint in my book!

These will harden pretty quickly. If you would like to decorate with sprinkles, you will need to put these on right after you have dipped them into the chocolate (before the chocolate hardens).

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!