Tuesday, January 3, 2012

For Better or For Worse

I take you to be my husband (or wife), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law, and this is my solemn vow.

If you are married, then I am sure that you and your spouse made a similar vow at your wedding.

I am wondering -- how many of us actually take time to consider this difficult promise?

When things are at their worst (because there will be horrible challenges ahead), I promise to love you.

When you have to work overtime (or two or more jobs) to provide for our family, I promise to cherish the time we have to spend together.

When I find out that you are sick, very sick, I promise to be by your side, hold your hand and be the strong one. I vow to do whatever it takes to help you. We will research the treatments. We will talk to all the best doctors. When you are unable to work, then I will work until I am so tired I cannot remember my name - but I will smile when I come home and love you all the more. 

Even if death should separate us, I promise to remind our children of the great man you were. I promise to help grow their love for you. Your name shall be a legacy and your love will endure forever.

I have a friend whose husband died last night. They found out a year after they were married that he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). She has two girls and he has two boys (from previous marriages) but they are one family. If you do not know about this horrible disease - it is a death sentence. There is no remission and no cure. The victim's muscles just stop working. They end up imprisoned in their own bodies.

But my friend loves her husband. She has stayed by his side as he lost his ability to walk, talk and care for himself. She worked the long, hard hours and supported their family. They have been through so much and I am proud of her. She held fast to her vows and she loves her man, even when it has been so terribly hard. What a wonderful example she is!

It makes the dirty socks on the floor and crumbs left on the table seem so insignificant.

Lord, please help me to love and cherish my husband and children. Help me to remember that each minute is a gift.

I cried when I watched this video and thought of my friend.  Cherish every moment you have - the good, the hard, and even the unbearable.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!