Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hope

I wrote yesterday of the extreme poverty that most Haitians experience on a daily basis. They know nothing of indoor plumbing or hot showers. Three meals a day is unheard of and some mix dirt or clay with their rice to add substance. They walk everywhere or squeeze into a tap-tap. They walk and live among dirt, trash, filth, mangy animals and pests. Sources of income and steady jobs are so hard to come by.

One woman had a vision. As she and her husband travelled to Haiti to adopt their children, they had a strong desire to help. They didn't want to give the Haitians "fish" per say, they wanted to teach them to fish. They wanted to empower the people and teach them a trade. So they moved and began a new life that was centered around helping people, a community and a nation. She started the apparent project. This teaches Haitians how to craft things such as bags, clothing and jewelry. Most of these products are made from local recycles, such as cardboard in making beads, so this not only makes something beautiful to sell, it is reusing something that would otherwise be considered waste and thrown in piles on the street {around houses, in parks, on the sidewalks, just everywhere!}.

Most of the ladies working at Three Angels are involved in making some jewelry. It is an amazing process to take slivers of cardboard {think cereal boxes} and roll this onto bamboo skewers and create beautiful beads! It really is beautiful! And even though they seem inexpensive to us on the states, it feeds a family an pays for rent in Haiti. Otherwise, these families are living in a tent among the trash and rats.

I am thankful for godly people who have a heart for Haiti and God-given talents that they are willing to share with this very needy nation.

I was also reminded by a fellow team member {thanks Ben} of the power of prayer. We are told that we can move mountains and that whatever we ask in His name will be ours {of course through prayer, our requests will be motivated and prompted by the Spirit living within to line up with the will of God}. So as I look at pictures, as I wear the beautiful jewelry made from cardboard and clay, and as I carry the purse I purchased - I pray the the Holy Spirit prompts me to remember to pray. And you can join me as I pray. Pray for the orphans. Pray for the children. Pray for the young adults. Pray for the mothers and fathers. Pray for the nation. Pray for revival and the love for the One True God of the Bible {and universe} to spread throughout the island. the power of prayer is beyond our understanding but so glorifying to God! It is free but priceless!

Mark 11:23-24
"Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

James 5:16 "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!