Friday, July 29, 2011

Delayed Dreams

Have you ever had a heart desire that had to be shelved? It is a difficult thing to do. Especially since we live here in America, where it is an "all about what makes me happy right now" culture.

When I was much younger, my Aunt and her husband were taking a mission trip to Haiti. They greatly encouraged me to go. I was living a pretty selfish life at the time and really didn't want to sacrifice anything in order to travel to a third world country to help people. You know, there are people right here in Indiana who need help. Turns out, I wasn't helping these people either. Self-centered at its finest.


Ever since then, I have often wondered what it would have been like to actually go to Haiti. Give help to people who desperately need it. What plans could God have in store for me if I were to go there and serve? What would it be like to be a missionary?


Now we attend a church that has a partnership with a mission in Haiti. It is a medical clinic, orphanage and Christian school. And you guessed it, my heart's desire is to go on a mission trip to the Three Angels Children's Relief

 I had planned on going this December. I keep praying for wisdom as to the timing of this trip and God has opened my eyes to something very important. We have a very clingy, needy 2 year old daughter. She does not deal well with change. She does not deal well when either Mommy or Daddy are gone. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Now is not the time. This is the answer God has given me.


Sigh.


Haiti must wait. For now, we will continue to pray for the people in Haiti and our family can sponsor a child to go to the Christian Academy (and so can you - click here for more information).

I will also pour out my energy and love doing the job that only I can do. Be the mother to my daughters. Who could be upset with that? What a blessing! Just look at these two.




Have you had a dream to do something that God has put on the shelf for a while? I'd love to hear about it. It is a hard lesson to be content right in the place where we are.

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.  Philippians 4:11-13

Linked in at :






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!