Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Healthy Tuesday - Easy Stir Fry

Looking for a quick, easy, super yummy and healthy dinner? How about stir fry?

I try to always keep some frozen stir fry veggies in the freezer (the kind without the noodles or rice) and rice in the cabinet so that I can almost always make this yummy Chicken Stir Fry when I have a chicken breast.


Now, let's me show you how easy this is.

I make my own sauce. Making your own sauce is super easy and I'll share my favorite recipe below. So the first step is to make the sauce. But if you are pinched for time, you could use a bottle of your favorite sauce from the store.

Boil the water and get the rice started according to the package directions. I typically use the 15 minute white rice, which is boiling 2 cups of water and then adding 1 cup of rice and cooking covered for 15 minutes.

Heat up the pan to med-high heat and putting in a tablespoon of vegetable oil
(tip: this is too hot for olive oil, it will burn).

Cut up 1-2 chicken breasts (skip this part if you'd rather have a vegetarian stir fry) into 1 inch pieces.

When the pan is smoking hot (you can sprinkle a couple drops of water in it and when it sizzles, you know it is hot!), add the chicken pieces. Stir these around and cook on all sides. This takes about 5-6 minutes.

Place the cooked chicken on a plate and cover it with foil to keep it warm.

Add a little bit more oil (about a teaspoon) and then pour in your veggies. I like to use the frozen stir fry veggies as a base and then add what I have on hand. Good vegetables to choose from are:

Broccoli
Mushrooms
Red, Yellow, Orange or Green Peppers
Onion
Carrots

Oh, my mouth is watering!!!

Stir the vegetables around until they are crisp tender.

Add the chicken. Stir.



Add the sauce. Stir.

Now you can choose to put the rice on the plate or just stir it in with the chicken and vegetables. I just stir it in so that it absorbs some of the yummy sauce.

Plate and enjoy!




Teriyaki Sauce

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1/4 c white sugar
1/3 c soy sauce
1/4 c vinegar (either rice vinegar or cider vinegar)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional for heat)

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan.
Simmer sauce over low heat until thick and bubbly.

I also double this recipe and use it for a yummy sauce for
baked teriyaki chicken.


2 comments:

  1. great recipe! We love stir fry, and I haven't eaten lunch... want to make this! lol! Thanks for adding this to Healthy 2day Wednesdays! Hope to see you there this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!