Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thankfulness {Day 10} Music


I am so thankful for music. It is truly a gift from God.

For years, I abused this gift. I listened to horrible music that glorified things of this world - debased and sinful things.

Thanks to the convictions from the Holy Spirit, I see that this is a way that I can worship and praise God. Now, I intentionally choose music that tells of His blessings. I choose music that pleases the Lord when I sing.

He gave me this dull, low, flat voice, therefore He has to listen to it. :)

I love it that my girls can be in terrible, selfish, sinful moods, but if I put in some music - they are transformed. They turn into fun, loving, singing, dancing angels.

I know you'll be surprised to find this out, but sometimes I can be a sinful mess - full of complaints and grumblings. But when I put on some wonderful praise music, I am quickly reminded of all my blessings. It is like magic - otherwise known as the Holy Spirit. My heart is happy.

Right at this moment, my girls are going down a list of songs in iTunes and singing along. It warms my soul to hear them sing songs about God.

One other thing about music. You may or may not be aware of this, but our children love music. They will learn and sing the lyrics to any kind of music that we allow them to listen to. It is very important that we help them choose wisely. Our daughter (6) loves, and I mean LOVES, hymns. We got her a hymnal for Easter and it is one of her most prized possessions.

She loves hymns because she sees that her Mom and Dad love hymns.

When singing these each night before bed, she asks important questions like when they were singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. She is often very frustrated that Jesus has not returned when He said that He would be back soon. She always says, "Soon!? I've been waiting my whole life." But the last verse in this wonderful hymn is:

We can almost hear the trumpet sound, the Lord's return is near;
There are still so many people lost, His message they must hear;
Father, give us one more moment, one more day, just one more year -
With God we're marching on.

After reading this and then in the Bible

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise,
as some understand slowness.
Instead he is patient with you,
not wanting anyone to perish,
but everyone to come to repentance."
2 Peter 3:9

she realized WHY Jesus  has not returned. There are many, many people that need to hear the good news.

What a wonderful conversation and teaching moment that was produced from a song!

Thank You, Lord, for the gift of music!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!