Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankfulness {Day 11} Our Soldiers


I am thankful for our U.S. Soldiers.

I am so very thankful that there are so many brave men and women who, for a variety of reasons, enlist into the armed services. When they first go into the Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force, they are basically children - yet they are willing to make a sacrifice to serve our country. Many sacrifice the four years away from friends and family but then go on to live out their lives. Some sacrifice much more. They end up with physical and mental disabilities and some even sacrifice their lives.

How often do we hear of a soldier being killed while serving across the ocean and neglect to take time to thank God for this person's service and to pray for their family left behind.

We should be praying often for these soldiers and their families that are left behind. We should offer up prayers of thanksgiving that some are willing to serve.

Where would our nation be without this line of defense?

I am also thankful for so many men and women who have served in the past - either in times of warfare or times of peace. We don't always even know that someone has served when they were younger until we get to know them. I have often been surprised to find out someone is a Veteran.

Today is Veteran's Day. It should not be another basically unrecognized holiday like Columbus (who is dead) or President's Day (and they are also dead). We are surrounded by many Veterans who are very much alive. Let's take time to thank them. They may be at work. They may be at church. They may be your neighbor. They may be at the local nursing home.

I am so very thankful and proud of the men and women in my own family who have served, including both of my grandfathers, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and my brother.

They might just be that homeless guy on the street corner asking for some help.

What a wonderful blessing it is for our soldiers, current and past, to have the people around them acknowledge their sacrifice and say thank you!

Thank You, Lord, for the men and women who are
(and have in the past)
protecting our country.
Please be with them and their families
as they sacrifice to keep me and my family safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!