Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thankfulness {Day 2}



I am so very thankful for era in which I live.

Let me explain.

Think about people who lived 3,000-6,000 years ago.

They lived in an era before the age of enlightenment and industrial revolution, so they did not have many of the modern conveniences that I take for granted (indoor plumbing and programmable coffee makers to name a couple that were super important to me this morning).

More importantly, they lived before Jesus. They did not have a Savior who died for their sins. They performed sacrifices (can you even imagine how bloody those events were?) for their sins. And Gentiles (like myself) did not even have that ritual to follow. They did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit. They did not have the freedom from the chains of sin in their life. Life would seem hopeless.

And then take the people who lived 2000 years ago; the time when Jesus walked the Earth. What a confusing time that had to be? The Jewish people (which I would not have been a part of since I am a Gentile) were looking for a king. They were looking for someone powerful, strong and influential. They were looking for a political giant to conquer Rome.

But Jesus was not what they were expecting. Only a few chosen people understood (by grace given from God) that Jesus is the Messiah, even though He was not what they had envisioned.

And then there is the time after the resurrection - the early church. Talk about feeling lost!! Think about how many times we run to our Bibles to look up something or to be refreshed by God's Word. I have a Bible in nearly every room of our house. It is on my phone and Kindle reader. There is a pocket size copy in my purse. There is even one in the glove box of my car. I love and need God's Word!

The early church did not have a Bible to reference. They didn't understand how they were supposed to live now that they were Christians. The Jewish Christians told them to follow all the Jewish laws but that seemed impossible (which was the point). They had the guilt when they sinned, but did not understand why or what to do about it.

So I am thankful to be alive after the resurrection; after people fought and died to interpret the Holy Scriptures into the common language. I have the Holy Spirit with me each and every day. Yes, I am still surrounded by sin and a fallen world - but I know that Christ will return soon and redeem His people.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your wise insights. It's easy to look back and wish we lived in "the olden days," without truly stopping to value the modern conveniences God has blessed us with. A thought-provoking read.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!