Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Banana Bread

Banana Bread

This is a modified recipe from one my Mom made for our family. This can easily be egg and/or dairy free by substituting dairy free margarine or butter flavored shortening (altho I don't normally recommend shortening) for the butter and egg substitute (like EnerG) for the eggs. That is how I make it for our dairy / egg free daughter.

1/3 c butter
1/4 c white sugar (can substitute agave nectar)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 c flour (I use 1 c all purpose and 3/4 c whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c mashed bananas (very ripe)
1/2 c nuts (optional)
1/4 c coconut (optional)

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease loaf pan. Combine flour(s), salt, baking pwdr, baking soda, and cinnamon - set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla - mix well. Alternating dry ingredients with bananas, slowly add them to the creamed mixture. Mix thoroughly. Stir in nuts (if using). Pour into loaf pan, evening out the batter. Sprinkle with coconut on top (if using).

Bake 40-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!