Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Bucket List

I noticed there are many Moms blogging about summer bucket lists, which I particularly think are super fun ideas! We will definitely do things like go for a canoe trip down the river, go camping in the backyard, attend a local concert in the park, watch fireworks, and play with squirt guns and water balloons (check, did that last week). But this has me thinking...are we making summer actually count for something? I am challenged to not only make a bucket list, but to put things on the list that will be opportunities to serve others, grow in our walk with the Lord and share the love of Christ with others. I want to add things like:


Memorize Psalm 23
I would like to brush up on this myself and have our 5 year old memorize it.


Vacation Bible School - attend and serve
Our church puts on a super fabulous VBS the week of June 13th. If you are interested in attending, click here for more information.


Hand out water on a local walking path to walkers
We have done this in the past and think it is a nice way to bless someone without expecting anything in return. It will be fun for our super-outgoing daughter as well.

Have a cookout - or a dozen. :)
Invite people over to our home for a great time of fellowship and food. We will try to invite a couple of new families so that we can get to know them better.

Summer Reading Program
Read books for the summer reading program that glorify God (maybe the librarian will notice) such as The Tanglewoods' Secret, Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic, and Rainbow Garden.

Clean out unused toys
We will donate them to a local charity, not just Goodwill, but either a women & children's shelter or fundraising garage sale for a local Christian school.

 
So I would encourage you to not only create a super fun bucket list, but to also add a few things that glorify God. Tell your children that you are purposefully adding things that will help help share the love of Jesus with others and create unity in the church body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!