Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Healthy Tuesdays

Serving sizes
If you were like me, then as a child, you heard (more than once) that you had to "Sit there until your plate is clean." Well, I have some different advice now - DO NOT CLEAN YOUR PLATE! The size of our meals has gotten out of hand. Here in America, our plates are bigger, we super size our meals and our stomachs are stretching to fit all that food inside, because we are all trying to be good boys and girls and cleaning our plates at each meal.

A big eye opener for me was to look at the serving size on everything and compare that to what you actually eat. So for example, I may look at a nutritional label for a snack and think I am eating (or drinking)  150 calories and 3 grams of fat (not bad, eh?)  - but when I look at the serving size, I see that I am actually eating 3 servings, so that is really 450 calories and 9 grams of fat - that's a meal! So a serving of ice cream is a 1/2 cup. The funny thing is, you won't be stuffed full with 1/2 cup of ice cream - but you will be satisfied. The craving will be gone. If you resist the urge to eat out of the carton, actually put the scoop of ice cream in a bowl, put the lid on it, scoop into the sink and place the carton back into the freezer, it will be less tempting to over eat - who wants to go to all that trouble again?

One other tip, you might post this Bible verse someplace in your kitchen as a good reminder that we are to do all to glorify God:

So whether you eat or drink
or whatever you do,
do it ALL for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31


And don't forget to check out the
last healthy Tuesday post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!