Tuesday, June 14, 2011

the Canary List

The Canary List: A Novel
The Canary List by Sigmund Brouwer

Wow - this book starts off with a sequence of action packed events and just totally sucks the reader right in. I could not put the book down! It was a great, easy read. The story was riveting and kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what was happening to Jamie and Crockett. Jamie's story was full of mystery and poor Crockett was a victim of circumstances. His life was caught up in a tornado of events that was leaving his home life and career (teacher) in ruins. He had already suffered the loss of a child and subsequent divorce and now he was facing isolation from his remaining child and total loss of any professional respect. He was being set-up - and worse yet, it seemed like he was being attacked.

The only problem I had with this book was that it lacked anything redeeming. It was full of what secular readers love - fire, death, demons, suspense, physical attacks, religious hypocrisy, broken hearts, jumping from 6th story balcony into a pool, left to die in the catacombs, and even an ending that leaves you unsure of the truth (our post-modern world LOVES the absence of truth). But that is not why I read. These "dark" things really made this a difficult read. I felt as if I were grieving the Holy Spirit just by reading the latin verbiage that the Satanists used during their ceremonies. So if you are looking for something entertaining to read and don't mind the darker sort of stories....you will love this book. I just think that for me, there are better choices.

This book was given to me for the purpose of writing a book review in the Blogging for Books program from Waterbrook Multnomah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!