Monday, September 5, 2011

Guy Doud

Oh my goodness! I was listening to Focus on the Family radio the other afternoon and heard this wonderful man, Guy Doud, speak. I am not sure where the talk was originally spoken (this was a recording), but it was fantastic!

Guy was nominated Teacher of the Year in the 1986 and had the privilege of meeting President Reagan. He talks about when he was young and faced bullies and he was letting other peoples' opinions affect how he felt about himself (like a lot of children do). He did not like himself. He contemplated suicide. Then he talks about a few teachers who invested in his life and made a difference - and how that inspired him to be that sort of teacher.

This not only applies to teachers, but also to those involved in ministry (youth or adults - we all need others to invest in our lives) and even parents.

Sometimes, when communication is a challenge with kids, parents tend to 'check out'. Stay involved. They really are listening and really do love the questions, even if they roll their eyes at you.


Below is a poem that Guy referred to in the radio broadcast. It is a great reminder to live out your Christian life.

Click here to listen to the Focus on the Family broadcast.

Sermons We See


Edgar Guest


I'd rather see a sermon
than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me
than merely tell the way.

The eye's a better pupil
and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing,
but example's always clear;

And the best of all the preachers
are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put in action
is what everybody needs.

I soon can learn to do it
if you'll let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action,
but your tongue too fast may run.

And the lecture you deliver
may be very wise and true,
But I'd rather get my lessons
by observing what you do;

For I might misunderstand you
and the high advice you give,
But there's no misunderstanding
how you act and how you live.

When I see a deed of kindness,
I am eager to be kind.
When a weaker brother stumbles
and a strong man stays behind

Just to see if he can help him,
then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big and thoughtful
as I know that friend to be.

And all travelers can witness
that the best of guides today
Is not the one who tells them,
but the one who shows the way.

One good man teaches many,
men believe what they behold;
One deed of kindness noticed
is worth forty that are told.

Who stands with men of honor
learns to hold his honor dear,
For right living speaks a language
which to every one is clear.

Though an able speaker charms me
with his eloquence, I say,
I'd rather see a sermon
than to hear one, any day.







1 comment:

  1. I love the poem!! Oh how true it is! Thanks for sharing =) I am a new follower =) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!