Sunday, October 23, 2011

Anyone ? and New Series


So when you think about evangelizing, does anyone come to mind? Do you think God has put that person on your heart so that you will share the most important truth with them that they will ever hear.

If no one comes to mind, pray. Pray that God would bring people to you who need to hear the gospel. Pray that He would give you the courage to share when He does bring you opportunities (because He will deliver).

So who is that person? Friend, relative, neighbor?


--------------------------------------------------------------


I have decided to start a new series starting this week! Are you excited? I am!

It is called......

drum roll please...

What I learned at church this week.

Each Sunday afternoon (or maybe Monday morning depending how crazy the Sunday is) I am going to start writing about something that I learned at church - and I don't mean the latest bit of juicy prayer gossip. I mean a wonderful truth from God's word that I think others would enjoy learning as well.


This week, the sermon was on the 3rd of the 10 Commandments. Do you know which one that one is? Can you name all 10 commandments?



“You shall not take the
name of the LORD your God in vain,
for the LORD will not hold him guiltless
who takes His name in vain." 
Exodus 20:7


Now I am sure the first thing that comes to mind is someone using the Lord's name as a profanity. That's the obvious answer. But our pastor gave 2 others ways that might hit home...

1. Trite or thoughtless prayer and worship. Do you have words and phrases - Christian-ese verbiage - that you say when you are praying? Do you pray to God as if you are talking with a buddy? He is the holy Creator of the universe and He is worthy of our sincere, thoughtful, honoring and respectful worship and prayers. Since He takes time to listen to our prayers, we need to treat that precious time with respect.

2. Worldly behavior. You see, if you are a believer and claim that you are a "Christian" then you are a living example of the name of God. Your character, lifestyle choices, entertainment choices, speech, conduct, and reputation either honors or takes His name in vain. If you are a Christian, then you need to act like one or just stop calling yourself a Christian. Choose sides and stop straddling the fence. Do not make light of the Christian walk or my Savior.

So that is what I learned at church this week (aka - conviction point).
I'd love it if you wanted to share something YOU learned or have input on the topic of taking the Lord's name in vain.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so if you are thinking something that is beneficial and profitable (which does not mean you have to agree with me, but at least be nice), then I would love to hear from you!